Thursday, May 22, 2008

Words of Wisdom from Very Wise Taxi Drivers Part Three

As i sighted the taxi pulling out from the opposite apartments, i thought to myself, lets see if he drives in my direction. If he does, i'll flag it. As fate turns out, i did flag the taxi and boarded it. Trying to strike up a conversation, i asked, "Just started your shift?"

"Should have started at 7pm. Had to start late because my day job had a late meeting. Sigh... Lost ten dollars already." Came the grumbling answer. "No choice lah. Work part-time is like that one. I tell you arh, i work for six years already."

"Heh. Meetings are a waste of time." i chuckled, still not quite understanding what he meant.

"Sometimes no choice lah."

"Every time a meeting is called, they talk and talk and talk. In the end, nothing is resolved." I declared.

"Yarh lor. Sometimes, i work until so late i can't drive afterwards. I just tell my partner that i can't drive and pay him accordingly. Luckily, he's quite understanding"

"Wow. You drive after your day-job? Very shiong leh, like that. After work already so tired, still have to drive taxi. But don't drive also good lah. If drive, lagi dangerous. You are so mentally tired." The message was slowly filtering into my slow brain and i realised how difficult this taxi driver's life is.

"Yarh lah. Thats true." Was his agreement.

"Wah. Uncle, you worked for six years already. You not tired?" Disbelieving, i noted his white crop of hair. How does he manage it at his age? I thought

"I numb already. But sometimes because of family, i have to work. I give myself another two years. My daughter is almost going to graduate. Once she does that, i'll stop." He replied wearily.

"Local uni?"

"No no. My daughter is in Australia."

"Really? Perth? Or Sydney?"

"Yeah, yeah. She's in UWA."

"Wah. Australian dollar is going up."

"Yarh lor" Was his grim reply.

"Well, when she comes back, at least you can rest from all this driving."

"No lah. She's not coming back." He said flatly.

"Then what? She work and send money back? Also good lah. Australian dollar so high."

"Hopefully she sends money back lah." He said hopefully.

When we finally reached my place, the fare was $10.40. I gave him $15.00, told him to keep the change and wished him a good drive.

I know it might not be much, but i sincerely do hope that it helped in some way. Driving a taxi after a long day at work is not easy.

To that taxi driver,
I wish you all the best. I hope your daughter comes back to help out with the family and that you don't have to drive a taxi after your day-job any more.

No comments: