Sunday, October 25, 2009

His motto is “give before it hurts”.


If there is one word in which i would use to describe my life, it would be:

Control

When i was young, my parents controlled my life's every moment. And i don't begrudge them for that. We are all young and foolish in the early stages of our lives, and we need someone to control us, to discipline us.

And now, it seems that i try and control every aspect of my own life.

I try and control my emotions. When a friend or colleague says something which i disagree, i control myself from yelling at them. Well. I try. But sometimes i'm unsuccessful.

I try and control my body. Even though my legs haven't fully recovered from a run, i go jogging again the day after. I try and eat vegetarian food once a day, because i want to control my weight.

I try and control risks. As a engineer, i have to consider various factors in order for my component/assembly to work. If i can't mitigate them, i restrict them. So far, there hasn't been anything i can't control.

I try and control odds. Socially, there are always games to gamble. I don't like games where i can't control my odds of winning. Therefore, i only play mahjong, Big 2 and Blackjack. In such games, you can control your own cards and hence, control your odds of winning. And if you're skillful enough, you can even control your opponent's cards as well.

So far, control has serve me well. Or rather, it has become subconsciously embedded into my life, such that i don't even notice that i'm doing it.

But because i try and control every aspect of my life, i have become something even worse:
I have become boring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then try to do sth tt's out of your ordinary once in a while.. tell me hw it feels.. I've yet to try it myself =p

Anonymous said...

After my comment, it got me thinking... How would I noe wat I am doing is out of my ordinary if the idea still came straight out of my mind?

Confused...

Unknown said...

Lol... I suppose ordinary is defined as average or unexceptional. However, even though we might be average or unexceptional people, the ideas we have might not be so.

That's where the cliche of "thinking out of the box" comes in. :)

Anonymous said...

Let it loose dude. You can't control every aspect of your life. Yes you can minimise the risk but hey there's only 1 life. Nothing is perfect in this the world. The imperfections make life interesting and challenging, makes us humans and we are humans.

-flowerger-

Unknown said...

Flowerger: I can't let it loose, because its in my nature already. It is an engineer's job to minimise risk. :p

Anonymous said...

And my colleagues said Im a control freak, yea when comes to work but life...have to let some aspect of it run wild sometimes...

-flowerger-