Thursday, May 04, 2006

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Jason and my thesis topic is..."

Thesis Presentation
Thursday, 4th May 2006.
9.00 am.
Time allocated = 15 mins.
Other lecturers will be present for grading.

Last Saturday and Sunday:
Preparation of thesis presentation on Powerpoint. Tried to email the file to my supervisor for him to look through, but it was too big (about 8 Mbs >.<). Total number of slides = 18

Monday:
Took a few photos to add into my presentation. The lab-assistant said that she'll come to watch my presentation, but i think she's just going to embarrass me. (-.-)
Met and asked my supervisor if he wanted to have a look at my Powerpoint slides. He asked if i could email it to him, and i told him it was too big. When i told him i had 18 slides, he told me to cut it down to 14 (approximately 1 slide per minute >.<). Darn... back to the drawing board. (-.-)

Tuesday:
Managed to chop my slides down from 18 to 13, but increased in size from 8 to 14 Mbs. Darn... Isn't it suppose to reduce in size when i delete slides?! (-.-)

Wednesday morning:
Went to see my supervisor and he went through my presentation. Told me to make some corrections here and there. Back to the drawing board again. (-.-)
In one class, my friend told me Justin (the good Malaysian buddy of mine) is coming to watch my presentation too. Dammit... More embarrassment. (-.-)

Wednesday afternoon:
In another class, one of my lecturer (who happens to be the Mechanial Engineering Coordinator and am on good terms with me) announced to the class that there will be a Mech Eng Thesis Presentation the next day. He also said that it would be a good idea to see what are the various thesis topics and see some friendly faces there. I can only assume he's talking about me. (-.-)
Judging by the grins of my aussie friends who heard that announcement, i can only fervently hope that they won't come.
One of my aussie friends, who is also my partner for group assignments, couldn't make it coz he had to work. Phew! One less embarrassment. >.<

Wedneday night:

Finish touching up the slides. Practiced three times, with timings of 13 minutes, 16 minutes and 14 minutes. Thought i should be ok. Just before i go to sleep, prepared the formal wear for the next day. Mutterings to myself went like this:
"Ok, lets see. I've got a long-sleeve shirt. *searches for it* There it is. Good. I'll wear that."
"Now then, I need my black pants. Hhmm... *searches for black pants* Where is it? Hmm... *searches somemore* Shit. Did i not bring it? *searches the luggage* Oohh ffaarrkk..." (-.-)
After running to Rosie and telling her of the predicament, she suggested that i try on a biege-coloured pants that i haven't wore in ages and prob won't fit. Sure enuff. After trying, it doesn't fit. Darn...
After all that preparation, i dun have black pants. WTF?! If i had known earlier, i would have just bought a pair from Tramps! But no... The yours truly champion, have to discover the missing pants on the night before the presentation! (-.-)
Started thinking of who is around my waist size. Big Banana? Dun think i can even fit into his. Anyway, i think he's asleep liaoz. There is only one other friend and he's way bigger than me. Tried calling him:
"Eh. I dun have pants for tomorrow presentation. You have a pair of black pants?"
"Hhmm... I dun have black pants leh. But i got pants lah. Grey colour ones."
"Hmm... K k. Think i'll come over and have a look. What is your waist size arh?"
"Waist arh? Wait arh, let me check. *hear him rummaging around for the pants to check* Waist size 40"
"Wah. Best liaoz. i only waist size 36 leh."
"Heh. I tell you first hor. Even for me, when i wear it, the pants is baggy leh."
*speechless* "Haiyah. Got no choice liaoz. i come over and get it from you."
Sure enuff. Its so baggy i can't even see the outline of my leg! No choice lah, no choice. (-.-)

Today, Thursday morning:
Went to Uni for the presentation. Was waiting for the rest of the lecturers to come in when i saw two of my other aussie friends coming in. Win liaoz. More embarassment. (-.-)
Since i'm the second person to present, i wasn't really concentrating on the first presenter but rather on attempting to calm myself. Halfway through the first person's presentation, i saw Justin coming in. Darn... Just how many people are coming to embarrass me?!
My presentation took close to 19 minutes. Think i over-elaborated. The lab-assistant also manuaged to turn up. (-.-)
During discussion time, there were heaps of questions. I think i managed to answer all of them well. The before-mentioned two aussie friends and Justin left after my presentation. They were really here to embarrass me.

Na Bei... (-.-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i missed it! darn! i would hv bring a banner and it will say "Jason jiayou!" And will hire some pom-pom girls to cheer you on...hahahha

well done mate. from the sound of it u did a brilliant job. congrats!

1st class honour ya ;)

-flowerger-

Anonymous said...

hee....just goes to show they love you enuff to take the trouble to embarass you eh. hee....*muack!!* well done dear!! brraavvoo!!
yeah i echo flowerger, first class k.
*muack muack*
-oliphant-

Unknown said...

@flowerger: 0.o

judging by what you will do if you were there, i think it was good that you weren't there lor. thanks for the compliment anyway. :)

for first class honours, the average mark must be > 77.5%. are you freaking outta your mind?! my average mark is now only 71% leh. there is only so much my thesis can do lor. >.<

@oliphant: hee... thanks, dear. *muack!* :)

Anonymous said...

so farni.. I can feel the adrenalin rush you went through by reading it and I like the last minute discovery of black pants hahaha!! It's like just when you thought all is well, something this insignificant is significant enough to affect the situation and make you panick! LOL!!

Congrats on your thesis!!!

Jude said...

if i was there i sure go there and join in the fun!

damn!

nevermind, we missed you and siew and ron at Josh's wedding!

Unknown said...

@pinkys: yah lor. to think that black pants would be my undoing. haiz... :p

thanks for the wishes! :)

@puppetress: fun? fun?! i dun call it fun lor. >.<

yeah, wished i could be there at josh's wedding. hope you guys had fun there. :p