Monday, December 18, 2006

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." - Susan Ertz

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient.
It's called 'rain'."

- Michael McClary

Rain. A drizzle. A shower. A downpour. A thunderstorm. The tears of gods. The life-bringer. The banisher of heat and bringer of a cool respite. In Chinese myths, the dragons of the four seas bring rain. In Norse myths, the god, Thor, uses his hammer to produce thunder. In Greek myths, the king of gods, Zeus, hurls lighting bolts as weapons.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain."
- Mark Twain

Have you ever watched from above when it rains? As rain falls, umbrellas emerge. Forming a colorful kaleidescope, its fascinating to watch. Colors bobbing in and out, shifting here and there. It is like watching an giant invisible hand shifting the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, trying to fit each and every one into its proper place.

"Rain, wash away my sorrow,
Take away my pain,

Your love's coming down like rain"
- "Rain" by Madonna

The pitter-patter of rain falling is like the soothing words of a mother to a fretful child. Its musical symphony brings peace and calm into a frantic life. It is probably the best melody of all time and one that would last forever. When you hear it, you know that the world is at right and that all is well.

Have you ever played in the rain? Is it not the most liberating feeling in the world? The feeling that you have braved the elements. The feeling of cool water running through your body. The feeling of freedom and irrational ecstasy. Smiles and grins break out. Chuckles and laughter bubble through the moist air. It seems as though the rain washes away your sorrow and brings a clean new slate.

"'But it always rains when people cry.'
'No, Laura. It rains because you cry.'"
- "Men in Black II"

Rain is also for the sad and depressed. It reflects the melancholy mood. It feels as though the gods share your pain and weep with you. With the rain, the grief intensifies with the feeling of loneliness and desolation. The feeling that your entire being is crying through every pore and skin. The feeling that your grieving heart is heavy with the rain of misery and anguish. The feeling of just wanting to lie there and somehow let the remorse flow out.

"The rain fell alike upon the just and upon the unjust,
and for nothing was there a why and a wherefore."
- W. Somerset Maugham

Rain. It showers on everyone, regardless of status, age or mood. It is one of the few who show true impartiality until the end of time, playing its beautiful melody.

So, what does rain do to you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way u write! :) strikes a chord in me. rain makes me wanna huddle in a corner and weep quiet tears. but then again i'm one depressive freak. :-P

Anonymous said...

Wow. So many thoughts on this subject. I'm guessing you did some crying while you were writing this?? I cried reading it.

Anyway, there is nothing I like better than to play or walk barefoot in the rain. Love it! One cool thing about it is I'm already soaking wet, so no one can know that I cried my eyes out while out walking in the rain.

I also agree about rain enhancing the down/depressed moods. I seem to want to cry more often, and cry more easily (if that's possible) when it rains.

You mentioned crying as though every pore in your body is crying. Been there done that. This weekend. And it wasn't even raining. My eyes hurt, my head hurt. I cried so hard at one point that my abs hurt.

Well, time to stop crying and talking about crying, and head off to work.

Kelly

Unknown said...

Anonymous: Thank you. :) Unfortunately, i rarely produce such deep writing. It takes quite an amount of brain cells for me to do so, and since i'm almost brain-dead these days, such writing is sometimes beyond me. :p

Rain can be for the happy as well, just as i said in the middle of this post. I really do hope that you'll find a reason to smile and banish that depressive-freak-side. :)

Kelly: I'm sorry if i caused you to cry. I didn't know it would have such a profound effect on you. :p

You sound like you cry constantly and if your abs hurt while crying, it really is quite worrying. Just as there is always a sun behind those dark rainy clouds, i sincerely hope that your smile would one day drive the tears away. :)

Jude said...

tes test

Jude said...

finally can comment! always get the error..

im glad the rain stopped cos it was draining me out :)

flowerger said...

rain makes me want to stay in bed and spend more time at my la la land, where the grass is green and the boys are pretty :o

Unknown said...

Puppetress: Heh? How come rain drains you out leh? Is it coz it makes you feel sleepy? :p

Flowerger: Eh. Very long never see you comment liaoz. >.<

I think it doesn't matter whether it rains or not; you're always in la la land. :D

Green Ogre said...

It does different things at different times, Both good and bad vibes. I do like it when it wet outside and I'm somewhere dry. Especially in a car and you watch the wet world outside and the rain striking the windows and how you are nice and dry, zooming around to where you want.

Unknown said...

green ogre: Yeah, thats a nice feeling, aye? Watching the rain outside while being all warm and toasty inside. :)