Sunday, January 07, 2007

2007: Two Thousand and Seven; Twenty Oh Seven; Two Oh Oh Seven

The new year starts, and i stumble through wearily from the last year. One of my colleagues has, how shall i put it, rather suddenly and unexpectedly left the company. As a result, Daniel and I were saddled with two extra projects each. The following is an extract of that fateful day:

Boss: *through the intercom* Jason ah, can you come in for a while?

Me: *replying through the intercom* Ok.

I ambled my way to Boss's office, wondering what he needed to tell me. I entered and took a seat opposite him.

Boss: Jason ah. I need you to take over these two projects temporarily for me.

Me: *thinking they are new ones or that boss had too much on his plate and wants me to help him out* Sure. New projects?

Boss: *through the intercom* Daniel, can you come in for a moment? *while waiting for Daniel to make his way in* No, its Michael's last day today.

Me: ??!! *totally taken by surprise*

Daniel ambled into the office and takes the seat beside me.

Boss: Daniel, i need you to temporarily take over these two projects because its Michael's last day today.

Daniel: *totally calm and unflappable* Ok.

As you can see, the news was a complete shocker to us. We thought that he would at least give a month's notice, or a week at the very least. We speculated that our boss must've been looking for a replacement for sometime. And when he did find one, our ex-colleague had no excuse to be around.

With my boss, somehow those "temporarily taken over" projects have a knack for eventually being permanently under us. (-.-) Daniel had the better bargain, if it can be called that. We each had a project which was almost over. Daniel's second project had just started, so it was relatively easy for him. My second project, however, is in the midst of construction, so i have much more to catch up on.

Oh yes. I forgot to mention that the colleague who left, was almost totally incompetent. His workings were in a mess and i had to sort them out somehow.

What a great start to a new year. (-.-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, that's so shitty!! I hate it when the former-collegues left so many things behind... nasty nasty!! you poor thing.

but hang on in there, do your best. karma will bite that guy (michael) right back on his ass yeh! for sure.

bigbanana said...

I resent you call me slacker!!!

Eh good wat, more projects = less time to think and time will fly by faster; i like i like :)

dramaqueen: if karma doesn't bite, try googling for a russian hitman. gets the job done in half the time for half the price.

Unknown said...

Dramaqueen: Yeah, i'm hanging on. Doesn't help that i'm still new either. Its like my boss is dumping me into a swimming pool and i'm forced to learn how to swim or i'll drown. Sighz...

Bigbanana: Fine. I dun call you slacker. I call you 'Passive Banana', since you made a new year resolution to be more proactive. :D

Yeah, more projects do mean that i've less time to think. On the downside, it also does mean that i've got less time to take a breather. :p

bigbanana said...

ensui: u do know that more projects also mean u have a more valid reason to skive. boss ask u do something u can say i'm extremely busy ah with that 2 projects, it's due soon lor. LOL! then you can go play some pc games.

Anonymous said...

bigbanana: OMG!!! you cunning smart manipulative little brat!! LOL!! I lyke!!!! Work smart and play harder!!!

russian hitman? fwah, so fiece man lol!

ensui: bigbanana makes sense you know, the skiving bit hahahah!! and the example you gave, the swimming pool, reminds me of NS. My bro told me that once. So similar...

Unknown said...

Bigbanana: (-.-) You never change, do you? Always coming up with such ideas. I'll like to see you try it first. >.<

Dramaqueen: I strongly advise you not to take his side. You'll only encourage him, and he's bad enuff as it is right now. :p