Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sign on the expressway: Why do you do this everyday?

You know Singapore is really really small when your australian university classmate applied for the same job as you.

I neglected to post earlier that my classmate had applied for the same job and was scheduled to have an interview at the same time as me. Because i was early, during my interview, the boss had actually asked me if i knew him and asked if i could work with him.

This friend was the same one whom i had whing-ed about having bad referencing techniques in my earlier post. (-.-)

In order not to be rude and start slamming him, i simply said "we have different working styles" (i'm sorry, but i just couldn't bring myself to say that he's absolute rubbish and that he shouldn't be hired at all >.<).

His grades weren't as good as mine and he graduated without any honours. While the boss had offered me the job immediately, he didn't do so for my friend. He told my friend that he'll interview one more person before deciding.

On one hand, for obvious reasons, i wasn't really looking forward to working with him. On the other hand, at least i would see a friendly face when i come to work for the first few weeks.

In the end, he did get the job. And by some weird coincidence, we both wore a long-sleeve shirt with almost the same shade of blue on the first day of work. What a great start to my new job. (-.-)

Yesterday on the first day of work, during orientation...

Colleague: This is Mr XXX. These are the new engineers, Jason and Daniel.

Mr XXX: Hello. *shake hands* Wah. You two wear the same shirt ah?

Me: *mutters* Yeah. Come from the same university mah.

In the boss's office,

Boss: Daniel ah. Here are some simple projects for you to look through. *hands over two projects* They are very simple. Too simple, in fact. Jason ah. I give you something more complicated. *hands over one of the projects*

Me: 0.o *thinking: oohh ffarrkk*

Today at the office, after i returned from the toilet,

Daniel: Eh. Just now boss came by and said that he wants you to come along to one of his meetings to understudy him. He's gonna leave now, i think.

Me: Heh? You leh? You not coming ah?

Daniel: No leh. *shakes head*


Apparently, my boss had high expectations of me. I really hope i can fufill his expectations and not disappoint him. Haiz... (>.<)

P.S: Oh yeah, i forgot to explain what my job entails. Basically, we help large buildings to design and coordinate their water, electricity, sanitary, fire protection and HVAC
(Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning) systems. It is more of a project management role coz we'll liason with the cilent, architect, structural engineer, as well as the Singapore Power, Singapore Telcom and other various government services.

6 comments:

trisha said...

Can you try changing the colour of your font? Blue text on dark blue/black background doesn't make for easy reading.

All the best in your new job!

flowerger said...

daniel? sounds familiar...is he msian?

well all the best working with govt agencies. remember to breathe when working with them.

do your best and give half of your pay check to me...hehehe... :p

Unknown said...

@trisha: oops. will try to change the colour of my font in future. thanks for your wishes. :)

@flowerger: nope, he's a singaporean. you want me to give you half of my paycheck? in your dreams, girl. :D

Jude said...

yes, please do something about the colours!

Green Ogre said...

Sounds like you've got a lot going for you. Take it as a piece of motivation. Grins.

Unknown said...

@puppetress: yarh lah, me take note liaoz. :p

@green ogre: heh. always seeing the silver lining, aren't you? i reckon you can see the silver lining in a mushroom cloud. :D