Saturday, February 17, 2007

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?" - Edgar Bergen

“It’s revolving.
Revolving…
If fate is a wheel, then we are the sand that is crushed between the cogs.
We’re helpless.
All we want is power.
Even if we can’t protect others by extending our hands, we desire a blade for those hands to grasp.”
- Ichigo in Bleach Episode 109: “Ichigo and Rukia, Thoughts Revolving Around Heaven”

Daikin, the air-conditioning supplier, hosted a Chinese New Year party on Monday at VivoCity. Naturally, my boss was invited. But he had another dinner to go to on the same day, along with our other directors. So Daniel and I went on their behalf.

We were hoping to get to know some of the developers so that they would hire us for future projects. Unfortunately, most of the crowd were senior management and everyone knew everyone. Daniel and I were lost and only made small talk to the people beside us. In the end, we only got to know our competitors / peers, depending on your point of view. :p

Ah well. At least we had a good time. :)

-----

My boss has scheduled Daniel and I to take an ISO course. Daniel is to go in March, while mine is in April. The reason why we always take different dates, is because of the lack of staff.

If both of us were to go at the same time and should something cropped up in both our projects, my boss would be very very short-handed. >.<

-----

Somehow, i feel that i'm moving forwards in this job. It has been, what, six months since i got this job and i've never stopped learning. The Daikin party was an eye-opener to how the industry ran and now, i'm up for an ISO course so that i can become an ISO auditor (although i fail to see how a two-day course can miraculously make me an ISO auditor >.<).

So far so good then.

-----

While talking to an electrical contractor on the phone, he asked where i had worked before. I get this question all the time. People seem to assume that i'm experienced. -.-

Naturally, i answered that i'm a fresh graduate. His reply, unlike the normal reply i get which is: Oh, so you're a fresh grad, was, "Wah. You're a fresh grad ah? But you talk like you have a lot of experience."

I'm not sure if that was a compliment, or a hint to me that i should know my place. -.-

Ah well, what the heck. I'm just doing my job.

-----

Chinese New Year is just a couple of hours away. Our company received about 11 hampers and yesterday, we took turns to draw lots and see who were the lucky ones. I was the first to draw and got a hamper, albeit one that had lots of wine bottles (a grand total of six bottles in one hamper >.<). Hopefully, its a sign of good fortune to come. :)

While waiting for transport back home (i couldn't possibly take a bus or train home while carrying the hamper >.<), i read the various CNY cards on display at our reception counter. One of them came from a contractor whom i worked with on one of our projects, and the card was addressed to: Mr William Ng and Mr Jason.

I had thought festive cards would usually be addressed to my boss only. But it appears that i've made sufficient impression, so much so that the contractor remembers me. Happy me. :)

May everyone have a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

“The wind lifted her thick hair just as I used to and slid its hand along the curve of her warm neck and jaw. Her eyes went suddenly wide. Then tears brimmed them.
“No,” she said aloud. “No. I won’t think of you anymore. No.”
- “Royal Assassin” by Robin Hobb

1 comment:

flowerger said...

huh? most are wine?? no food to share with me?? chocolates? peanuts? crackers? biscuits?

anyway Gong Xi Fa Cai!